General Technique Notes
- Foxtrot is a curvilinear and rotary dance. The "straight" figures, such as Feather Step and Three Step, gently curve. On turning figures, either the man is the axis, or the lady.
- Foxtrot is flat, head pretty much stays at the same height. The rise is in foot and absorbed by legs.
- General posture note:
- Back of neck elongated
- Tension in the spine to elongate it
- Butt cheeks compressed, with feeling of string pulling butt to ground, hips tilted up toward partner.
- Extension: it's all about using counter-balance. Head weight is always aligned with foot with middle of body forward. Do not take head beyond foot - that will be back-weighted.
- Outside partner position: rotate
- Man: lift his right hip to partner, turn frame to right and extend left side forward.
- Lady: lift her left hip toward Man.
- Movement - goes in circles
- Moving back: it goes to toe first before moving back. (Knee bent)
- Moving forward: it goes back to heel first, then moves forward.
Starts Man facing DC.
- Feather Step (SQQ)
Reverse Turn (SQQ SQQ)
- Keep straight line, no zig-zag motion.
- Lady: last step, do not step short, do not step before Man put his step down. Slide foot back.
Three Step (SQQ)Natural Turn (SQQ)
- Lady: Do not pop. Absorb rise with knees.
- First step must go straight to DC
- Second step is forward relative to the body. There is minimal pivot on the LF. The RF stepping forward relative to the body will thus be stepping between DC and center.The man then can pivot on the RF as he is transferring weight from the LF.
- When leading heel turns, brush the foot, it helps to not fall over.
Closed Impetus and Feather Finish (SQQ SQQ) At corner, ending DW of new LODReverse Turn (SQQ SQQ) (optional, if short wall is very short)Reverse Turn (SQQ S) checked, at corner
- Heel turn is not on straight knee, legs are slightly bent all the time.
Basic Weave (QQ QQ QQ)Three Step (SQQ)Natural Weave (S QQ QQ QQ)
- Check: could be either toe lead or heel lead, depending on what kind of effect Man wants to have
- Man could collect first, then take back step, in which case, it would be heel lead for Lady.
- If Man doesn't lower to collect, then Lady takes a toe lead.
Change Of Direction (SSS) at corner, ending DC of new LODFeather Step (SQQ)Reverse Turn (SQQ SQQ)Change Of Direction (SSS) at corner, ending DC of new LOD
- After second step, frame will be backing DW, movement is DC, and feet should be backing DC. If feet are not oriented in same direction as movement, balance is compromised.
Preparation Man face DC, step LF side (1234), RF side (56) LF fwd (78)
- Feather Step (SQQ)
- Reverse Turn (SQQ SQQ)
- Three Step (SQQ)
- Natural Weave (S QQ QQ QQ S)
- Reverse Turn (SQQ S) check, (not listed as follow for Natural Weave ?)
- Basic Weave (QQ QQ QQ S) corner
Three Step (SQQ)Natural Turn (SQQ)Closed Impetus and Feather Finish (SQQ SQQ) cornerChange Of Direction (SSS)
- This could be changed to an extended weave, in which case, add more QQ's, After closing with feather finish, skip Three Step, Natural, Closed Impetus and directly go to Change of Direction to start a new wall.
- Extended weave: keep right shoulder to Man,do not peel off. head turns to right until man close.