- Finish the arm. No loose arm hanging or extra movement. Commit to each body design. Solid.
- Eyes: focused.
- Posture: tall spine, lengthen neck.
Starting the dance:
- Lady initiates by moving her hip and leg. Weight on RF initially. L knee bent.
- Man walks toward Lady, arms wheel up and the plane - place the arms and connect with partner. Lady echo Man's arm movement (just a bit late).
- Man changes weight to his RF, Lady to her LF and start with cucaracha to man's left.
- Cucarachas: LF, RF (2341 2341)
Basic Movements: Closed (2341 2341) Turning basic 1/4 to L
- Foot movement is sharp when twisting, hip movement is slow and continuous.
- Face forward, look into partner. Lengthen neck.
- Dynamic: flexible.
New York LSP (2341)
- Focus on beautiful leg action and foot placement.
- Tall spine, lengthen neck.
- Sustained action.
- 1st half: "out" - separate with partner. settle more, but make sure to have forward tone to partner, not pulling partner toward you.
- 2nd half: "in" - close up, show weight transfer to front of the foot.
Hand To Hand LSP (2341)
- Use the hip to pull/twist after weight has been fully transferred to standing foot. Front foot turned out. Sharp pull/turn action, then combined with sustained weight transfer to do the check.
- Whole body moves as one unit.
- Lady: keep center facing forward, then rotate upper body around spine to left, twist as much as you can, with arms up, do not break shoulder joint.
- Lady: "4", pointing RF back is sustained, then it's sudden sharp turn to R to face partner at "1". Fully transfer the weight on to RF toward partner, before turning again.
- end of "1&", sharp turn to hand-to-hand.
- Think about the combination of "tension" (fast,sharp turns) and then "release" (transfer weight fully)
Hand To Hand RSP (2341)
- Lady: arm straight out to side, then, up, brush hair/neck (elbow forward) and down on side of body.
- do not turn to face partner, keep same direction.
- At end of "1&", turn 1/2 to R into R side by side position.
Progressive Walks Forward in RSP (2341 2341) ending facing partner
- On "2", R arm straight out. "3 41" - this is a quick arm in and out. Or keep the arm out till next walk.
Cuban Rocks RF (2341)
- Arm in on "2", flip draw to center on "3", "41" arm out.
- 23: arm in and center
- 41: face partner, get in hold.
Spot Turn To R (Lady to L) (2341)
Alemana (2341 )
- Fully settle, transfer weight first, energy fwd toward partner, before doing swivel on "2".
- 2nd turn is forward walk turn, body is not flat, keep it more diagonal, transfer weight, then pull left side through (last swivel turn).
- After last swivel, Lady: track RF underneath and then place to under the shoulder, not too big step. It's a smooth step, do not pause in middle.
- Lady arm option: left arm in front, wrap right arm behind.
- When finishing on "41": left arm straight out to left, R arm connect with Man.
Closed Hip Twist (2341 2341)
- shoulder still parallel to Man, twist R hip, LF diagonal.
- left arm in to turn under Man, then immediately straight out at end of "2&".
- Brush RF
- "3": Upper body keep turning to right, hold LF till last second, then sharp leg movement to place.
- Keep arm out on "3 41", do not put hand back on Man's shoulder too quick, wait till end of "1&" turning.
- "1&": sharp turn, put L hand back on Man's shoulder, finishing with energy toward each other, fully transfer weight.
Hockey Stick (2341 2341)
- Lady: "2 3", could turn body first then twist hip faster, don't under turn, RF and R leg in nice long position (RF is turned out, lift the heel up), then place RF back. "Give" Man right arm, keep tone in arm, energy forward.
- End of "3&": keep foot pressure on floor while turning, pressed walk, RF in strong demi-pointe position, RF more cross in front of left leg, LF needs to swivel more, make gap between knees bigger.
- "1&": before stepping next "2", first straighten R leg, put weight on it, then turn R, then step LF forward. Some teacher prefer to straighten and turn at the same time on "1" for more energy.
- "2": don't pause LF, place it and transfer weight
- Ending in Fan, Lady: L hip use lateral action, compress left side. Then use twisting action to draw R leg in for next beat "2" (Closed Hip Twist). Man: upper L arm on the side, lower L arm straight forward, (not pulling into stomach), do not extend too much.
Shoulder To Shoulder Left Side, Right Side, Right (2341, 2341)
- "2": arm in, twist L hip to left, close feet, make bigger gap, on "&", R hip diagonally fwd before twisting R hip to right/back.
- Different characteristics - play with timing a bit. could take longer on this beat and catch up in next beat.
- Lady: also echo Man, can be a little late, but Lady should never be early.
- "3": arm center
- "41": arm straight up, small steps, do not pass Man. Create a window. Coming out of Fan position, stepping straight, not wavering.
- "23": left arm in. On "2", swivel, 1/8 to left, use left hip to pull the R leg.
- "41": left arm out again, when following shoulder to shoulder, get to closed hold. Use delayed walk technique, create energy (but never pull or push Man) - place LF back, hold when Man is coming fwd, then quickly transfer weight to LF.
Side Step To Right LF (2341)
- Try to keep shoulder parallel to Man. Use the energy: "open" and "close".
Cucarachas: RF (2341)
Fan (2341 2341)
- Twisting hip causes foot to move, compress side
Alemana (2341 2341)
- Basic Fan (in closed position)
Opening Out To Right And Left (2341 2341)
Closed Hip Twist (2341 2341) open finish, one hand hold
Basic Movements: Open (2341)
- Lady: does normal hip twist.
- Man: close to the Lady.
Progressive Walks Back (2341 2341)
- Delayed walk, "elastic" energy.
Natural Top (2341 2341 2341)
- On "2" stepping forward:
- Moving foot: pressure hard into the floor using IE of foot, sticky, heavy feet. Toe could be touching floor (for those open toe shoe that allows it).
- do not slide back foot, keep back foot in place, swivel and turn the foot out.
- both feet: inside edge, never roll out flat or go outside edge.
- front foot pointing: not pointing straight, but using inside edge, sickled ankle, foot turned out.
Closed Hip Twist (2341 2341)
- Keep upper body light, lower feet sticky.
Repeat from #1.